An animation is playing a series of still images, called frames, consecutively. The frames can include photographs, illustrations, diagrams, etc. Due to a rapid succession we can obtain an illusion of movement. The whole is supported with textual and / or aural explanation.
- Allows for abstraction, and is therefore extremely suitable for explaining a concept, a mechanism, a method, a theory.
- The use of simplified drawings and diagrams draw attention to the essence, there is no disturbing context (compared to a video).
- Attention of students is the highest if well made and not too long.
- Better knowledge acquirement.
- Attractive, makes learning fun. Higher engagement, sustainable motivation.
- A concept animation explains one content only in one way.
- Developing concept-animations yourself is difficult, making someone else develop it is expensive.
- Concept animations are often difficult to modify afterwards.